Saturday 1 June 2013

Guide to Learning 1: Focus

I'm sure all of us know that focus is the key element to complete any task effectively and efficiently. But why is it that we know but we never really practise it? There are many reasons and personally I feel that the main reason is noise.

Focus in achieving an objective
Noise, or the alternative voice in our lives, is the culprit of pulling us back from advancing towards our goals. One example would be me writing the blog. As mentioned in the introduction to this series, Guide to Learning, I started this blog in 2007. However, I did not follow through my dream. This was due to the noise inside me. The "devil" in me told me that this is redundant, this is a waste of my time, etc etc... I procrastinated and although I kept looking back into this blog, I was just lazy to pick it up and do what I wanted.

So, I would urge everyone who has an objective to just work towards it. To quote the famous Nike slogan, "Just Do It!". What can be the worst outcome? Fail? People laughing at your failure? At least you have tried and have no regret. Imagine you looking back in life when you are old and realise that you have not tried to work towards one of your little dreams. If the reason for not trying was because of the noise inside you, I'm sure you would have regretted big time.

In my case, I would have failed if no one reads my blog, but if at least one other person reads it, I see myself as a success. And now you are reading this post, thank you so much! :)

Focus in achieving a small task
Another reason why we fail to focus would be our physical surrounding. We may be distracted by people walking past, by the (real) noise from footsteps and conversations nearby, and even by the hot weather, especially in Singapore.

My friends always comment that I look very scary when I am doing my work, especially when I am thinking. They don't dare to interrupt me, even if they just wanted to ask me for lunch, because I look like I can devour anyone anytime. Now, how do I overcome these real noises?

My only reply, even if you ask me now, is to train in harsh conditions. There is no air-con at home. I stay less than 10 metres from the ground floor. I stay at a busy location where there are thousands of people walking past each day. I stay near the train station. There used to have a garbage collection point just outside the window in my room.  I'm sure you would have guessed what is it like to do work in my room. Noise, smell, non-stop moving elements. To round it off, I love doing work in my room, facing the moving train.

renovation at home

This "training" has made me used to the harsh conditions which we could face anywhere, anytime. When my house was under renovation with all the drillings and hammering, I was inside my room, with door opened, continuing to do my work as if it was just another normal day.

For students, if you are able to focus in harsh conditions, I'm sure that you will have no problem during examination, in a quiet environment. If this is not enough, one more plus point is that it will definitely serve you well if by any chance, your examination hall is not as quiet as it should be. This happened to me a few times before and I'm sure you have experienced it.

To end off, I feel that everyone is equal and no one is smarter than another. It's the ability to focus that makes the difference, that determines how much time is needed to understand a concept, that makes a person "seemingly smarter" than another.

1 comment:

  1. There are generally two schools of thoughts, I think. The first believes that certain people do better in academics because they are more inclined towards studying and learning academic stuff. And to be politically correct, they label those who don't do as well as being more proficient in other aspects, like say, musical talents, sports, arts.

    I personally subscribe to the latter, whereby everyone is as good as everyone else in learning anything, barring physical limitations. The only difference between people is the way they process learning in their minds. However, our schools can only provide a single method for all students, and those who do well are those who happen to be proficient at learning that way. For example, some people might find it useful to attend classes. I personally could never learn from being present in class. I learn fastest from having someone show me how it's done. I observe the input and the output, then I go off on my own to analyse the kinks and attempt to replicate steps taken. For others, this method is called spoonfeeding that won't help in self-learning, for me I am able to pick up and quickly apply to future problems, thus no longer needing to be "spoonfed". I believe other people have their own ways of learning that's the most efficient to them.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve. :)